Friday, April 3, 2020

A letter to Karnataka State Primary Education Minister


Dear Suresh Kumar sir,
My name is Prakash Nyamagouda and come from small village in Karnataka by the name Chikkapadasalagi. I am currently working and living in Germany.
During a recent trip to my native, I visited couple of government schools and as well a private Kannada medium school near by my village. The fact is that I have also studied in government school and very little has changed compare to my time and now.
I made some pics while interacting with students so that I can explain you my thoughts better by referring to these pics.




Pic 1: 7th grade class room (government school)



Pic 2: Toile in government primary school



Pic 3: 7th grade class room - private Kannada medium school


Please note that I am not taking school name to just avoid undue attention to this government school. But the fact is most of the schools have similar issues which I would like to bring it to your attention.
Number of class rooms: The schools have less number of class rooms compared to the number of grades that the schools run. In the particular school that I visited has only 3 class rooms compared to the 1 – 7th classes that they have to run. Which means there is a scarcity of 4 class rooms.
Sitting on the floor: This was the case during our time and unfortunate that even now the government school students need to sit on the floor and listen to the classes. Though I have been told that few government schools are being provided with benches (at least for 7th grade) but I am not sure how many schools really have benches for 1 to 7th grade.
Toilets: Our beloved prime minister started a very ambitious and much needed program (Swatch Bharat Abhiyan)  but if you look at the pic 2, it makes me feel very sad. In most of the schools the toilets are in such a pathetic condition, its impossible for children to use it. The question is whether each school has toilets; if they have then do they have them in adequate numbers and maintained the toilets clean? Sir, when we say that ‘ಇಂದಿನ ಮಕ್ಕಳು ನಮ್ಮ ದೇಶದ ಮುಂದಿನ ಪ್ರಜ್ಞಾವಂತ ಪ್ರಜೆಗಳು’, its highly important that we teach them about cleanliness from very young age so that they become the ambassadors of change.
Mid-day meal: Though mid-day meal is a very good concept and I understand the intent behind this great program. But this also has a very negative impact on the teaching staff as it adds lots of administrative effort while they have scarcity of teaching staff. Either we need to add a non-administrative staff to take care of all the tasks so that teaching staff can solely focus on academics. Otherwise, this can be discontinued and instead food grains can be distributed as a ration depending on the attendance.
Sir, I am writing this to you with great respect and I am sure you will look at long term measures to improve the quality of primary schools in Karnataka. I fail to understand why there is so less focus (infrastructure and academics) on primary education while this is the foundation and if the foundation is not strong then how can we expect quality among student community.
Sir, there is a need to make strategic investment into primary school education to create better citizens for our country. I request you to invest your department energy to collect real data and derive long-term and short-term measures. As an individual I am trying to help in our taluk by talking to BEOs but I am sure there is a lot that could be done at government level.
If I needed I can find volunteers from each district so that we can work hand-in-hand with your government officials and support them with in whatever way if it can help.

Looking forward to hear your feedback.

Prakash Nyamagouda
e-mail: pnyamagouda@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment